Couldn't Reload Quake III Arena/baseq3/PAK0.pk3
Started by myleg123
myleg123 Rep. 90
#21   06 Oct 2017
Ok, thanks for locating the problem! I will look for a new mod that increases the maplist size in the meantime.
Chomenor Rep. 0
#22   13 Oct 2017
I made some changes to the engine and the UI Enhanced mod that should get the limit up to 4096 maps. It can still be really slow though, especially if you try to use certain features in UI Enhanced like having multiple maps in the custom map list. It might be better than nothing, though.

Get the updated engine here:
github.com/Chomeno...system/releases

And the modified UI Enhanced mod here (put it in the uie folder):
stvef.org/files/uie12_maplimitup.pk3

myleg123 Rep. 90
#23   26 Nov 2017
Sorry for the late reply, was interested in other endeavors involving other games. I will try this modification and will tell you if it works or not!
myleg123 Rep. 90
#24   26 Nov 2017
The uie12_maplimitup.pk3 file is dead, and searching it in The Wayback Machine led to nothing. If you could repost it that would be great.
Chomenor Rep. 0
#25   27 Nov 2017
Here is an updated link:
stvef.org/files/uie12_maplimitup.pk3
myleg123 Rep. 90
#26   27 Nov 2017
Thanks! Once I test it with all of my add-ons, I will tell you what happens.
myleg123 Rep. 90
#27   27 Nov 2017
It seems that all of my maps are in the maplist and accounted for. I'd imagine speed wouldn't be much of an issue once I put it on my SSD. If I encounter any errors I will post them here. Thank you for your service!
Chomenor Rep. 0
#28   27 Nov 2017
No problem, and thanks for the testing help!
myleg123 Rep. 90
#29   03 Dec 2017
It seems that when I add bots, it says "Bot (BOT INSERTED) not defined." Where (BOT INSERTED) is the bot I tried inserting. The bot then doesn't spawn. I don't know if this is a problem with your mod, but I will try it once my brother returns my flash drive with my Quake 3 files after putting the files on his PC.
Chomenor Rep. 0
#30   03 Dec 2017
What is the exact method you are using to add the bots, and is it with UI Enhanced running?
Does this happen with every bot, including the ones built into quake, or just some bots?
myleg123 Rep. 90
#31   04 Dec 2017
I am in the menu adding bots using the "Add Bot" Section. This happens with UI Enhanced running, and it happened to about 75% of the bots that I tried to add. I will test to see if this occurs without UI Enhanced running.
myleg123 Rep. 90
#32   04 Dec 2017
So it appears that the bots that didn't work in UI Enhanced don't even show up in the list of bots in vanilla Quake 3. I will check in the baseq3 folder to see if there are any problems with missing .pk3 files or problems with .pk3 files having the wrong name.
myleg123 Rep. 90
#33   04 Dec 2017
I'm guessing that this is a limit with the number of bots available to use in Quake III Arena. Do you happen to know of any way to increase that limit?
myleg123 Rep. 90
#34   04 Dec 2017
I tried adding the bot through the main menu, and not when I was already in the map. I got the error message "Client (Slot #) is not connected" I tried adding the bot manually through the console, and I got the same "Bot not defined" error message.
myleg123 Rep. 90
#35   04 Dec 2017
I've also noticed that the xcsv hi-res texture pack that ioquake3 recommends to use doesn't appear to work, and the High Quality Quake mod doesn't appear to work either.
Chomenor Rep. 0
#36   04 Dec 2017
I believe the bot problem may be caused by an overly small directory list buffer in g_bot.c->G_loadBots. This limit isn't normally updated as part of UI Enhanced because it is part of the game vm rather than UI. I made an updated mod pak to increase that limit; try adding it to the UI enhanced directory: stvef.org/files/ui...maplimitup2.pk3

My filesystem project doesn't allow regular paks in baseq3 to override the main game paks. Instead you have to create a directory called 'basemod' alongside baseq3 and place the mod paks there. This helps prevent random paks from causing unwanted changes or problems. Try creating the basemod folder and move the mod paks into it and see if that fixes the problem.

myleg123 Rep. 90
#37   04 Dec 2017
Ok, I will try these fixes and report back!
myleg123 Rep. 90
#38   04 Dec 2017
I just tried your 2 fixes that you provided, and both of them worked. As always, I will post any problems that I encounter here. Thanks for the workarounds!
myleg123 Rep. 90
#39   07 Dec 2017
I don't know if this is only true for your version, but when I run the x64 version, the sound keeps popping whenever I add a lot of bots. I don't get this problem on the x86 version. Even when I am in an empty room with no bots, whenever I walk and create footstep sounds, the volume pops. Do you know why this is?

Edited 44.58 minutes after the original posting.

Chomenor Rep. 0
#40   07 Dec 2017
I couldn't immediately reproduce the problem on my system. It could be related to the old SDL dll that comes with normal ioquake3 builds. I prepared a test build using the current SDL version, available here:

stvef.org/files/io...wfs_sdltest.zip

Just unzip this file into the quake 3 directory and overwrite existing files, including SDL264.dll. Note that this dll doesn't currently work with other ioquake3 builds, so you might want to back up the old version.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

matlab101_simple
Clear